Eligibility for ACS Assessments
Potential candidates are split into three categories. Prerequisites to attend assessment will be dependent upon which category an operative falls into.The following sections provides guidance on who qualifies for which category but we are happy to provide further information and advice on these requirements.
Applicants who are experienced gas fitting operatives from within or outside the United Kingdom and who who are one or more of the following would be considered Category One.
- Seeking to renew expiring or expired certificates of gas safety competence, i.e. ACOP, ACS or Gas Services N/SVQs
- Seeking assessment and certification to extend their range of gas work.
- Foreign nationals seeking to obtain certificates of gas safety competence enabling them to meet UK gas work requirements. Operatives in this category must present evidence of their gas fitting qualifications and experience to the Assessment Centre.
Applicants applying for Initial or Reassessment must present to the Assessment Centre original appropriate certificates of gas safety competence.
The applicant must declare whether they:
- Are registered with the Gas Safe Register as a self employed operative or an employee of a Gas Safe Register employer
- Are not recognised or covered by Gas Safe Register registration scheme.
Applicants must provide evidence that they hold qualifications relevant to the area of gas work they are seeking to obtain certification in. These qualifications must have enabled competence to be demonstrated in the generic work activities associated with fossil fuelled appliances/equipment and/or pipework installation,
including any of the following work activities, flueing or ventilation or the installation, maintenance or commissioning of such appliances. Applicants must present evidence to the Assessment Centre prior to the commencement of assessment.
Examples of appropriate qualifications include:
- Plumbing craft qualification or N/SVQ (oil and/or solid fuel options) suitable initially for domestic or commercial central, water-heating or pipework installation.
- Pipefitter/welder craft qualification or N/SVQ suitable initially for commercial pipework, pipework commissioning and meter installation.
- Heating and Ventilation craft qualification or N/SVQ suitable initially for commercial pipework and appliance installation.
- Refrigeration Engineer/Fitter craft qualification or N/SVQ suitable initially for commercial appliance and pipework installation.
Additionally applicants in this category must provide written evidence to the Assessment Centre confirming that they have undertaken ‘on the job’ gas installation and/or maintenance training and have experience of gas work that has been carried out under the direct supervision of a competent operative(s) employed by a Gas Safe registered business that would support their application for the range of assessment to be undertaken.
This evidence must be in writing from the employer detailing precisely the areas of gas work previously carried out.
Applicants that do not satisfy the criteria of Categories 1 or 2 will be classified as a new entrant to the industry.
Applicants with relevant qualifications and experience must declare whether they have:
- Had a gas competency certificate or qualification withdrawn in the past.
- Been deemed incompetent in the past in matters of gas safety and if so provide details for review by the Certification Body. (The Certification Body will make a decision about the application after a full review of the circumstances and keep a record of the findings and the decision for six years.)
An applicant in this category will not be able to provide acceptable evidence of relevant qualifications and gas work experience. Therefore the application is not acceptable.
Individuals in this category should be advised to seek training and experience which will result in attainment of National/Scottish Vocational Qualification (N/SVQ) in Gas Services, Installation and Maintenance at Level 2 or 3 to obtain employment with a Gas Safe registered business who are willing to provide an auditable extended period of company ‘in house’ gas training programme and organisational support to the operative prior to taking ACS assessment. The duration and content of the training programme will be determined by the scope of gas work to be undertaken. Evidence in the form of a portfolio of the completion of such a training programme must be presented to the Assessment Centre prior to the operative taking assessments.
Alternatively an N/SVQ within the Mechanical Engineering Sector with related on the job gas training and experience in the intended areas of gas work to be carried out will also support a future application.
Gastec Training and Assessment Centres is a leading supplier of training and assessment services to the utilities industries. We offer the full portfolio of training and assessment services for the entire utilities sector including the Gas Safe register.
We have developed a full and varied range of courses designed to suit all personnel in the gas industry. The courses and assessments cover all areas of domestic and commercial servicing and installation procedures. We are constantly working to develop new courses to meet the ever-changing innovations and legislative needs of the gas industry.
At Gastec we provide structured modular training for the electrical industries that require either compliance or mandatory training and assessments together with a recognized qualification.
The OFTEC series of courses includes courses for equipment installers in both the domestic and commercial oil sectors
We have new courses ideal for those new to the sold fuel sector or experienced operatives seeking to widen their skills. The range of courses include such areas as its delivery, storage, relevant technologies and appliances.