New Entrant Gas
What Will I Learn ?
Tailored Course Content
The Gastec courses provide a broad introduction to the knowledge and skills required to achieve the qualifications needed to operate in the gas utility sector. With many years of helping new entrants qualify Gastec understand the most effective way to provide the just the right range of training.
Gas Sector Essentials
If you are serious about entering the varied, interesting and lucrative field of gas engineering then we at Gastec are committed to ensuring your training and development will be the very best available.
We start with a broad base which gives you a detailed understanding of the gas sector and provides a strong platform for developing your career
- Combustion of natural gas
- Basic burner design
- Operation of components and how they work
- The need for ventilation and fluing
- How flues work
- Pipe sizing
- Pressure and flow
- Basic electrics
- How appliances work
- How to install, maintain and repair appliances
The following are only some of the minimum performance requirements you will be taught, so you can work safely and competently as a gas appliance installer.
- Proof of Competence – Reference
- Flues and Ventilation – BS5400 Part 1 and 2
- Fires, Back-Boilers and Circulators – BS5871 Part 1, 2 and 3
- Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998 – HSE
- Installation of Gas Pipe-work – BS6891
- Specification for Tightness Testing and Purging of Domestic Gas Installation – IGE/UP/1B
- Installation of Gas Appliances – Document J Building Regulations
You will be shown how to carry out certain tasks, for example exchanging a gas meter or servicing a boiler.
Simulated tasks relating to the installation, planned maintenance and breakdown of gas systems will be conducted within the centre’s training workshop.
- Real time constraints
- A full range of appliances and appliance sub-categories
- A full range of flue types
- Live gas installations
- A variety of installation faults
- A range of potential hazards
- A range of realistic appliance faults that require identification and rectification
- A range of installation conditions
Gastec Training and Assessment Centres is a leading supplier of training and assessment services to the utilities industries. We offer the full portfolio of training and assessment services for the entire utilities sector including the Gas Safe register.